Friday, April 27, 2012


Helping Fathers Bond with Children with Autism
by Robert Naseef, Ph.D.

With men, there is often an awkward pause before they can find the words to speak.  Not about sports—that’s usually easy—but about what it is like to be doing their best to face autism with no “fix,” no exit, just life-altering challenges.  Then they share their struggles and what they are learning about how to relate to their children and families. This is some of the work I do as a psychologist who happens to also be the father of an adult child with autism.

As Nelson Mandela observed, “A boy may cry; a man conceals his pain.”  There is a traditional male imperative to “suck it up,” so men tend to cry on the inside.  On the outside we may be grumpy and irritable, but on the inside we are hurting.  Life doesn’t stand still and wait for us.  Families need fathers to express themselves, and to spend time teaching, playing, and otherwise engaged. Children with autism hunger for their fathers’ involvement and approval just like every other child.

In opening up, possibilities emerge for fathers about ways to connect with their children who relate and experience the world differently because of autism.  For example:  
Their children may be drawn to Lego’s or video games as opposed to sports, and they want us to be there with them.
They may struggle with language to express themselves, so we have to learn to read their nonverbal clues.
Sensory differences and difficulty regulating emotion may trigger shutdowns and meltdowns so we have to learn to be sensitive to these issues.

Children with autism are also just children; growing up is about more than just the necessary therapies.  So find something parent and child can do together and enjoy.  It could be as simple as taking a walk or a ride in the car.  Or get on the floor and play with cars or blocks in whatever way your child likes for starters.

By entering the autistic world of our children and understanding how their minds work, as opposed to trying to make them who we want them to be, we learn how to be with them.  Only then can we grow together.  Fathers involved in the daily lives of children inspire with their love and devotion.   

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this insightful article. Any advice for me, (a single mom, and Grandmother)? My son, a single dad of 3, the father of my grandson with autism is grateful for my support with the children. But when it comes to my suggestion to join a father's group he's resistant, although he admits a father's group would help. The explanation: financial limitations, time and his need to be a hands-on Dad to his 3 children, especially now as they struggle with divorce. I welcome grandparents to post their thoughts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3W-RScxR4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete