Monday, June 11, 2012


Revisiting Masculinity:  The father’s journey with autism
by Robert Naseef, Ph.D.

When my son was born in November 1979, I jumped for joy.  When he was diagnosed with autism 4 years later, I thought my head was going to explode.  I couldn’t get the word autism out of my mouth for months.

In general, it is harder for men to talk about problems than women. Women seem able to talk about problems and find comfort without needing to fix them. Of course, women do want to fix problems. As for men, when we can't fix something, we don't want to talk about it—and this is a factor in male depression and a problem in relationships. 
As Nelson Mandela wrote, “A boy may cry; a man conceals his pain.”   Boys are still taught at a young age to feel ashamed of their tender feelings, especially their gentleness, caring, vulnerability, and fear.  What is acceptable is showing their tough, action-oriented side along with physical strength.  All emotions save anger are to be hidden even from themselves. So what’s a man to do when his child is diagnosed?   How do you handle that choked up feeling?  Men tend to withdraw and cry on the inside.  On the outside we may be grumpy and irritable, but on the inside we are hurting. This is part of the secret life of men raising a child with autism.
I wanted to be a better version of my father when I held my son Tariq for the first time.  I looked at my son and saw myself, only better.  His diagnosis of classic autism shattered that reflected vision, like a broken mirror.  There were no words. 
  Asking a male how he feels usually evokes an automatic “I don’t know.” What helps men express themselves when experiencing a broken mirror with an autistic child, 80% of whom are boys?  Try “Guy talk” such as:
•           What’s it like for you? (Curiosity works better than empathy)
•           Tell me more.
•           I need to know to be closer to you as your / wife/ friend/ brother, etc. 
•           Your child needs you.
•           Let’s figure out a plan.
Men respond to making an action plan.  This is a positive part of the male code and not outmoded.  Our families need us to be present, and as fathers we are yearning for connection but lost about where to start with a child who is so different.
To find clues, I ask men about their warmest memories of their fathers.  Almost without exception they recount doing things with their dads such as taking a ride or a walk, building or fixing stuff, going on errands, cleaning up the yard, watching TV, or throwing a ball around. 
The essence of every good memory tends to be doing things together.  This fits the male mode of being.  It’s not everything.  But it’s a good start and it works every day.  We still need to get up to speed listening better and expressing ourselves.  We’re a work in progress.

1 comment:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete